Old Midwife


Today's picture shows an old midwife in Greene County, Georgia. The picture was taken in 1941. 

Wow, we had lots of interesting comments yesterday. It seems like the conversation got around to the "Pain of Childbirth". I can remember the birth of our daughter. We had taken that class on how to breathe in natural childbirth. What they don't tell you is that the role of the man in the Natural Childbirth is to be the Whipping Boy. Yep, Mrs. PJM cursed the day of my birth as our daughter was born. Eighteen hours of  Mr. PJM not doing anything right. It was a Saturday, and there was a TV in the room. It was in about the 14th hour of labor, and I was exhausted, so I turned the TV on to watch an old rerun of Bonanza. It was the episode where Hoss and Little Joe bought an old mule without telling Ben Cartright. Well, anyway, Mrs. PJM did not want the TV on and she was not even polite in the manner in which she instructed me that there would be no Bonanza watching in the labor room. I throw that out there just in case any young men end up in a similar situation . . . during labor, women appear to not be favorably inclined to have Hoss and Little Joe on the TV.