Policeman Drinking Coffee



Today's picture was taken in 1920, and it shows a police office enjoying a nice cup of coffee on a snowy street. I am going to be honest with you and say that I really like coffee. I enjoy nice espressos and cappuccinos. I usually do not have the patience to froth milk for a cappuccino, so I make an espresso, but press enough water through that it makes a full cup of coffee. This comes out as a strong cup of coffee but without the bitterness of drip coffee. Plus you can make one cup at a time as you want it. While I enjoy coffee, my cut off time is 1:00 in that if I drink it after that I will not sleep.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

Yes, we announced yesterday that we would suspend the Mystery Person Contest, which had been a dominant fixture on this site for years. It was something that I looked forward to each week, and want to thank you all for all the fun times. 

A couple of years ago a site came out called "Tin Eye". If you took a picture to that site and uploaded it, it would try and tell you whether that picture was somewhere on the internet or not. This was the first warning flag as far as technology giving an unfair advantage in the contest. Tin Eye did not have the entire internet indexed, and it was pretty easy to fool it, so for the last year or so I would make sure that Tin Eye could not solve the contest before posting it. Then more recently, Google added that capability to their image search engine. At first I could trick that tool by just manipulating the image a little in photoshop, but more recently it could identify almost any image, even if I manipulated it. So, the contest was becoming a burden, as you had to not only get an interesting picture, but then you had to make sure Google could not solve it. 

Nate Maas emerged as a Grand Master at the contest long before these tools were available, so there is no doubt that he in fact was true genius at this game. Here is the problem. If there were to emerge another player of the level of Nate, we would all just assume that he was using a tool like Google Image Search to cheat. It is a lot like photoshop. When we see a genuinely spectacular picture these days, we assume that it was enhanced in photoshop and not just spectacular photographic skills.

So, while the Mystery Person Contest will fade into the sunset, I will try to keep things interesting with lots of old pictures and good domestic updates. Hope you all will stay tuned in.