Bed Time Radio Program



Today's picture is from Pie Town, New Mexico, and was taken about 1940. The mother and daughter are pictured listening to a radio above the bed at bed time. This family was one of the few in the area to have a radio, so they had many evening visitors.

I enjoyed reading the comments yesterday as people reminisced about old times listening to the radio. When I was growing up we barely got any TV reception, but I had an old Short Wave radio that would pick up radio stations all over the world. It was a little tricky to tune, and you often had to slam your hand on the top of it to get it to work. There was a program from Holland that was in English that I liked to listen to on Sunday evening. The radio had vacuum tubes, and would really heat up if you had it on for a while. I don't know if they even make shortwave radios any more.